LiveProcess Delivers on CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule for Hospitals
Focus on continuity of operations in healthcare
In September 2016, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a final rule establishing comprehensive requirements for emergency preparedness for participating providers.
Key elements of the CMS emergency preparedness rule include:
- Develop an emergency plan based on an all-hazards risk assessment.
- Establish policies and procedures that ensure the continuity of care and essential services, from protecting physical resources to preserving and maintaining the availability of medical records.
- Create a communication plan to coordinate patient care within the facility and across providers, and with public health departments and emergency management agencies.
- Test the plan and train staff by conducting drills and exercises, and identify gaps and areas for improvement.
A Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) prioritizes the essential business functions an organization must perform even in an emergency and then establishes means for ensuring that they continue. For hospitals, an all-hazards COOP ensures both the continuity of essential services to current patients and the capacity of the hospital to work with community partners to respond to a medical surge.
Ensure CMS emergency preparedness with LiveProcess
LiveProcess understands hospital emergency preparedness and response. LiveProcess Emergency Manager is purpose-built for healthcare organizations and helps hospitals to create and execute continuity of operations plans (COOPs), emergency operations plans (EOPs), and other preparedness plans.
An all-hazards COOP ensures the continuity of essential services for the care of current patients and the capacity of the hospital to work with community partners to respond to a medical surge. LiveProcess seeds your COOP with an all-hazards vulnerability assessment based on the Kaiser model.
When natural disasters and other crises strike, personnel inside and outside the hospital need to be prepared, and ready to mobilize resources and coordinate under even chaotic conditions. LiveProcess Emergency Manager makes your EOP actionable, enabling community-wide coordination to protect your patients and staff and support hospital availability.
Because circumstances can change, achieving situational awareness and coordination with coalition partners and community networks is essential. Hospitals, health systems, first responders, health departments, and public agencies must be ready at all times. LiveProcess enables your healthcare organization to plan and execute drills, to track compliance against national readiness standards, and to identify gaps and areas for improvement, so you are prepared.
Meet the CMS emergency preparedness implementation timeline with LiveProcess
With LiveProcess you can meet the CMS emergency preparedness implementation timeline readily to ensure compliance and continuity of operations for essential hospital functions when they are needed most. In a disaster or crisis, LiveProcess apps provide:
- Effective communication and coordination for continuity of care
- Coordination within and beyond the hospital walls — across departments, organizations and into the community
- Collaboration with members of your healthcare coalition to share training, resources, preparedness, response and recovery
Complete the form to get the brief, LiveProcess Delivers on CMS Emergency Preparedness Rule for Hospitals, and learn more about how LiveProcess Emergency Manager aligns with the CMS emergency preparedness final ruling.